6.26.2010

My Life in France-Julia Child


Here's a little description from Goodreads:

"In her own words, here is the story of Julia Child's years in France, where she fell in love with French food and found her "true calling." Filled with the black-and-white photographs that her husband Paul loved to take when he was not battling bureaucrats, as well as family snapshots, this memoir is laced with stories about the French character, particularly in the world of food, and the way of life that Julia embraced so whole-heartedly. Above all, she reveals the kind of spirit and determination, the sheer love of cooking, and the drive to share that with her fellow Americans that made her the extraordinary success she became."




This book was an eye-opener for me. I'll admit that I knew little to nothing about Julia Child when I started. Well...as much as you learn from watching Julie and Julia, which I had just done. I have vague memories of watching her on tv as a kid. She always seemed a little oblivious to me but I certainly wasn't of an age to care too much about how to bake bread or casseroles. I know regret that I don't have the chance to watch those episodes again!

This book covers the period of time that Julia and her husband Paul Child spent in France during the late forties and into the fifties and sixties. It's always a delight to me to find out about a person you never though much of and discover how interesting they can be! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her lust of life and her desire to never take the easy path. She enjoyed the unvarnished version of Paris and hated the big, glossy hotels and houses. She and Paul travelled all over and found such delight in a picnic on the side of the road. I found myself questioning whether I would ever be able to live the same sort of life. With that must zest and endless appetite! I love the fact that she didn't find her true calling until much later in her life. I felt that there is hope for anyone as long as you keep your eyes open to the possibilities around you.

The relationship between Paul and Julia was one of the best parts of the book. They really worked as a team and supported each others passions. All in all this was an extremely pleasant and informative look into the life of someone I previously knew nothing about but I'm glad I finally do. I only wish there were more!

3 comments:

  1. I'm planning on reading this book soon - this makes me more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. I also thought Paul & Julia's relationship was amazing and so inspiring. They were really such a quirky couple, but oh so in love. I read this after reading Julie & Julia, and also knew very little about Child. It was encouraging to know that she really didn't learn to cook until she was in her 30s. As someone new to cooking, it was nice to know that you can get a late start and still be a successful chef.

    I had a "Julia Child" night with my aunt who is an amazing cook last fall and I hope that we can do it again this fall and make it an annual event! Was so fun to make one of her recipes (we made a Paella dish).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa- That sounds like SO much fun! I've been trying to find a used copy of one her cookbooks in the stores around here but no luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

    ReplyDelete