6.16.2010

Is it worth it?


Part of the reason I started this blog was because I had been reading other blogs and was so amazed by them and they got all the idea juices flowing in my brain with what I would do I if had my own.

Everything is always better in your head.

In reality I feel like I'm failing on the blog front! I keep finding new blogs and they are so fantastic. Well written with a cohesive style and point of view. Did I mention well written. I always had illusions of grandeur when it came to writing. In my head, (there I go with that pesky head again) I sounded intelligent and had plots and characters and stories! On paper I was long-winded, blabbering on and on with no definitive point. Very discouraging. Writing got lumped into being crafty for me. (see a story about that here.) It was something that I wanted to be good at but wasn't. So why would I decide to start doing something where I have to write everyday?

Maybe I would feel more confident if I had a sort of schtick. I watched Julie and Julia over the weekend, (post coming Friday) and it's really got me thinking. I don't have a purpose with my blog.

I'm not cooking my way through The Art of French Cooking.
I'm not running a marathon.
I'm not renovating my house.
I'm not pregnant.
I'm not planning a wedding.

In short, I'm not doing anything exciting! It's just me. Is that enough for people? I don't plan on quitting, not just yet. It's like Becky and her running. I don't hate blogging. I just need to work myself up to feeling like I'm doing a good job. Whenever you start anything new it's like that, right? You have to start somewhere and if nothing else I'm becoming a more focused person.

Someday I'll have a house to redo.
And be pregnant.
Then have a baby.
Not so sure about the marathon and the wedding.

When all those things happen I'll have the perfect platform to share my experiences with the world!

Whether it cares or not!

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about taking on a persona or trying to create a focus for this blog. I think your voice comes through loud and clear. Besides, reading complete strangers' words online is certainly a form of voyeurism. When it comes to reading a personal (vs. a theme or topic-specific like cooking) I'm nosy about what's going on in other people's worlds. Even if there isn't much going on it's a break from my own world. :)

    Keep your expectations reasonable and just look at the blog as a outlet for thoughts, feelings and sometimes actual events that occur. Those entries tend to be the most interesting.

    Sarah

    P.S. I'm starting to rethink my own blog. It's currently (bad) poetry oriented but I think it needs to evolve into a real journal. Thanks for the motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support and ideas! It makes me happy to know I helped motivate you :) I'll keep doing what I'm doing and I think it will come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be really hard at first - but I agree with the previous comment about just using it as an outlet. Sometimes when you don't see comments you think that means no one cares or what you're saying isn't important - not true! You're doing a great job! (And LOVE that pic!)

    ReplyDelete