7.09.2010

Netflix Challenge #7 - Say Yes to the Dress Season 4


My seventh pick for my Netflix Challenge is admittedly, a guilty pleasure. I had no intention of making Say Yes to the Dress-Season 4 my next challenge but once the holiday weekend was over and I'd watched the whole season on instant, I figured why not?!

When I started this challenge I created some vague boundaries and rules in my head. One of these rules was that I couldn't just watch one disc or one episode of a tv show. If I was going to use it as a pick, it would need to be the whole season. Mission accomplished! (Another rule is that it can't be anything that I've seen before and so far I've stuck to that one too!) There are 18 episodes in season 4 but they are only 21 minutes each so the time flies as you are watching bride after bride find her dress. Or in many cases, NOT find her dress.

When it comes to reality tv, I turn up my nose a little bit. In my day I've watched a season of Survivor here, a season of American Idol there, but it's not something I really enjoy. The premise of most reality tv ridiculous and sad. The few exceptions are shows like Project Runway or Top Chef where having a legitimate ability is what lands you on national television. The drama and hissy fits are not the focus of the show...for the most part. ;) While Say Yes to the Dress doesn't feature talented chefs and there are no weekly challenges, I feel that it's pure in what it does offer. Women shopping for their wedding dress. That's it! Some are nice brides and some of awful bridezillas. Some are sample sizes and others fight to find a decent plus size dress for their big day. You have supportive families who cry when the dress is discovered but also family members who criticize and name-call. It's fascinating!

In case anyone isn't hip to my TLC guilty pleasure, Say Yes to the Dress is a show that goes behind the scenes of wedding dress shopping in a large NYC shop called Kleinfeld's. Each episode features 3 brides,usually two who are looking for their dress and one who is having a fitting. There are all manner of divas and snafus and it's just ridiculous! Pants HATES it! If I'm flipping through and see it on, I immediately stop and keep it on that channel even if I've already seen that episode! When I saw that Netflix had season 4 on instant I might've screamed out loud a little bit. Maybe. Yes, I did. :)

I am aware this post and choice is frivolous but come one! I'm at about the half-way point and I needed something fun and quick to keep me going! :) I don't expect everyone to want to queue this one up but I still recommend it if you're looking for fun, fluffy stories about what can be the happiest day in people's lives.

1 comment:

  1. Omg we are really brain twins because I just put this on our instant que the other day and finished it last night! It definitely was interesting - some of the stories made me teary-eyed and some made me want to throw up for the amount people spent on a dress!

    ReplyDelete