7.12.2010

Etsy seller - StudioCherie Part 2!

I previously mentioned my obsession with this bag for sale on Etsy from StudioCherie. Well handy dandy Google Alerts did it's job and let her know that I'd mentioned her Etsy shop on my little blog here. She commented! That comment spurred me on to a purchase because she said the fabric I loved so much was almost gone! I decided to break down and invest in some handmade goodness :)

Since most everything is made to order by hand, it took a couple weeks for my bag to arrive. I finally got it on Tuesday of last week and I am VERY pleased! My first reaction was---"It's gigantic!" Seriously!

Here it is in it's box all wrapped up!


This bag is truly a fantastic travel bag. I could easily fit a weekend's worth of clothing in it! Depending on how you packed, it would also work well for longer trips. There are no hard or stiff (bwhaha) edges so it could be molded or made to fit in smaller spaces. There are two pockets on the outside. One has a zip top and is large enough to fit extra little items like chargers or jewelry pouches.

The best part is what drew me to it. The fabric! It's vibrant and interesting and I love the straps! It's certainly a unique travel companion and I can't WAIT to use it :)


It is SO much larger in person. These pictures do NO justice!

Sorry for all the crappy camera phone pictures but it's all I've got to work with right now! There is a MUCH better picture at her Etsy shop.

Cherie has been so nice throughout the whole process and very kindly agreed to answer some questions! It's amazing what Etsy Conversations can accomplish :)


When/Why did you learn to sew?

Growing up, I sat at my mothers feet as she sewed for herself. I can still remember my favorite garments and wishing I was big enough to wear them too. I used to take the scraps and make clothes for my Barbie. In 6th grade I made a small quilt, and in 7th grade I started sewing my own clothes.

When you get the idea for a new product, can you just sew it on the first try or does it take a few go rounds?

I probably have a dozen unfinished things rolling around my studio that did not come together the first time. They sit waiting to be reworked. A lot of things come together great the first time, but then I have to remake them in such a way that someone else can do it too, simplifying and changing the order of the steps usually.

Your shop is quite prolific! Do you also sell your items anywhere besides Etsy?

I get requests to sell wholesale, but I turn them down. I just don't have time to fill orders like that. Etsy is the only place to buy my sewn items.

Are you the only one who 'works' in your shop? Do you sew each piece yourself?

I do have a gal who quilts the duffle fabrics for me now. She does a better job of it than I ever did.

Where do you source your materials? Are they mostly vintage fabrics?

There are a couple of local fabric boutiques that I frequent. I have to say they know me at JoAnn's pretty well too. I don't use vintage fabrics much. What you see in my shop are all current designers. It is overwhelming sometimes to think about the variety of fabric being produced right now.

What made you decide to start selling PDFs of your designs? Do you ever worry about other people selling your designs as their own?

I never wanted to be a manufacturer so I spent some time looking into having my designs made elsewhere. What I found was a business model that involved inventory, sales reps, trade shows, and a whole lot of paperwork and follow up that made my mind swim. I could get investment capital and hire those things out, but then I would be a boss and have a boss, neither of which appeal to me. I really just want to stay creative and license my ideas to other people. The PDF patterns make my ideas a concrete product that can be licensed. When someone buys a pattern from me, it comes with a cottage licensing agreement, so as long as they are making it themselves and mentioning me in their marketing materials, we are good. I am open to manufacturers for commercial licensing deals as well. Simplicity approached me to license my patterns for their catalog, so that is happening next. My patterns are copyrighted, so I don't worry about them being stolen.


Her shop really does run the gamut from travel bags, clutches, patterns, eyeglass cases...everything! Go on and stop by! Now....where to travel with my bag first?

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic bag. I am a lover of huge bags - esp for travel with the one carryon bag restriction! My purses get bigger and bigger as I get older. Even my every day purse that I bring to work each day is quite large. But I always have a book in it and other misc things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should take a road trip to someplace you have always been curious about. I am glad you love your bag! <3 Cherie

    ReplyDelete